Today we lifted up the grates in the North end to clean out the gunk left in there over the seasons. But first, we needed to pump out the water sitting in the center. To do that, we needed the water pump that we have downstairs. But when we opened up the manhole cover today, a loud, disturbing noise is what greeted us. It was so loud we had to cover our ears while we searched for the source – and we did. A tiny little air tube had ruptured under the south end – and the sound of the air rushing through a small opening (about a quarter of an inch) with such high pressure is what made such a deafening sound! One quick snip and an o-ring fitting later, it was fixed! Now on to the next task… Emptying the North end pool!
We left the pool draining over the last few days, but this still leaves a large amount of water left in the north end pool to clear out. To do so, we brought out our water pump. Unfortunately, it seems like it hasn’t been used in a very long time because it was missing the hose! A quick look through the Engineering Shop Scrap, and we found the perfect fit! …Only the sections we had were about five feet long… So we had to fashion a longer hose using the best engineering fix of all: Duct Tape! After that, it was just a matter of pumping up the water.
Over the next few days we will be cleaning out the gunk left there with shovels and nets – a large task indeed.